We’re Ocado Retail. We’re the people powering Ocado.com, the world’s largest online grocer, and Zoom by Ocado, our almost-as-fast-growing, same-day grocery service. As the world’s biggest and best online-only grocer, we work tirelessly to bring more of what matters to our customers: unbeatable range, fair value and effortless convenience.
We’re an exceptional and mighty bunch of colleagues who are inspired by our three awesome values: Always be curious, Bring your best self, and Challenge what's possible.
We have ambitious plans and vision to never stop making our customers' lives better, by delivering the supermarket of today, tomorrow.
Data & Insight
Data & insight is at the heart of the Ocado retail grocery team – from advising the buying team on promotions to run and products to range, to understanding how our customers buy their weekly shopping, through to building models for new loyalty schemes and personalised marketing campaigns – data and insight are critical to everything we do. We want our analysts to become experts in their areas as well as have the skills needed to produce great insight. We therefore run regular training sessions on the key tools needed – choosing visualisations, presentation skills, SQL, VBA and more.
Purpose of Role
The purpose of this role is to maximise the impact of data science on ORL’s business goals. As the fastest growing retailer in the fastest growing channel, ORL has the combination of the richest possible data and a nimble organisation structure. This creates the perfect environment for exciting analytical problems to solve combined with the satisfaction of seeing rapid execution at scale. The role comes with a high level of autonomy in how you set the approach of the team on specific business problems, and how to seek out innovative solutions. This will require the ability to understand the art of the possible with analytical methodologies along with the commercial impact of successful implementation and a strong understanding of business needs.
- To lead the in-house data science team and to ensure the team's full value is unlocked.
- To identify, manage, and supervise projects that touch all areas of the business (marketing, commercial, buying, supply chain) elevating the level of sophistication of analytics and modelling.
- To prioritise, plan and manage a portfolio of projects through to a successful outcome.
- To understand the needs of the business and how data science can be used to meet them.
- To manage relationships and expectations of senior stakeholders and business sponsors.
- To be up-to-date with state of the art Machine Learning techniques to elevate ORL’s analytical capabilities to be more predictive and prescriptive.
- Experience leading projects involving large data sets and complex statistical techniques.
- Experience working with stakeholders and able to communicate effectively to non-technical persons.
- The ability to translate complex business problems into achievable data science projects.
- A solid understanding of key statistical concepts and machine learning techniques to solve complex problems.
- Familiarity with Cloud computing and experience with overseeing end-to-end development of data science projects in a Cloud environment.
- A deep understanding of the art of the possible when using Python and SQL programming languages.
- A strong academic record including a postgraduate degree in mathematics, statistics, or the sciences from a top-ranked university.
Nice to have:
- Prior experience leading or managing within a data science team.
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform and its associated machine learning tools, e.g. Vertex AI.
- Demonstrated advanced computer programming ability including fluency in two or more of Python, R, Julia, and SQL.
- Knowledge of common machine learning toolkits (e.g. scikit-learn, xgboost) and deep learning frameworks (e.g. TensorFlow, Torch, etc.).
- Experience with Agile working.
- Successfully conducted research of significant scope – an M.Phil. or Ph.D. will be looked on favourably.
What We Offer You
We want our colleagues to feel supported and secure here at Ocado Retail, which is why we have a great range of useful benefits for them to scoop up - and they’re now available to easily learn about using our new platform ‘Pick ‘n’ Mix’. Our flexible benefits range from tasty lifestyle discounts to trusty private medical insurance.
These benefits can also be customised so you can pick and choose to best suit your lifestyle.