Information Systems, Strategy Economics Business
- Quantitative and Trading Analysis aims at providing a better understanding of the markets traded by Total Gas and Power in terms of prices and fundamentals, finding ways to model and forecast their dynamics and dealing with complex issues requiring a quantitative approach (pricing, hedging and simulations of complex products, transactions or assets).
- In a context of great autonomy, the team contributes interpretation, advisory and support to all TGP trading desks (60 to 70 traders in 3 office locations) and to senior management - including COMEX members - and helps them define trading strategies and/or take decisions.
- The Quantitative & Trading Analysis team is staffed with at least 9 permanent analysts. In addition to permanent staff, the team regularly hosts interns.
- The holder of the position works with trading desks and other stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging data in order to drive business solutions and catch new opportunities. This requires in-depth analysis of complex and unique problems as well as creative and strategic thinking to come up with solutions that are unanticipated.
- The holder of the position will with all the trading desks getting exposure to and helping on subjects related to all the commodities traded by TGP (including worldwide gas, LNG, electricity, emissions, dry products, NGLs).
- Work with trading desks and other stakeholders throughout the organization to identify, prioritise and structure complex and unique problems where advanced analytics projects or tools can have the biggest impact.
- Mine and analyse data from internal and external sources to drive optimisation and improvement of business, trading and hedging strategies
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques. Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets.
- Lead projects with hands-on analysis and modelling to choose the right tool and right level of complexity to reach business objectives.
- Work with asset managers and traders to compute and model assets flexibilities to be optimised on the markets
- Help build models to optimise assets flexibility and tools to back test
- Help creating algorithms and tools enabling bidding processes, automate short term trading and balancing
- Maintain, support and develop models’ user interfaces when necessary (web interfaces, apps, etc).
- Act as product owner and interface with IT development teams when the development of large scale data infrastructure, or automation of trading strategy is required. Manage IT-related questions (deployment, QA) directly with IT teams defining missions roadmap, running the procurement process to select subcontractors if necessary; follow-up licenses purchase and renewal with third-party suppliers
- Ensure technology and methodology watch. Conduct extensive investigation to conceive new methods, procedures and policies
- Maintain and develop an understanding of the price and volatility dynamics of the markets traded by TGP
- Work in association with the market analysts within the Q&TA team to help design models including supply-demand equilibrium models or price-determination models. Collaborate and provide support to the Quantitative Researchers in their regular activities
- Maintain an understanding of the trading desks business models and stay up to date regarding their positions
- Interact with other data scientists in GRP to share experience and collaborate on projects.
- Enhance TGP ability to leverage data in order to model and optimise assets/portfolios and help generate additional value for the Company by driving the right trading decisions
- Reply promptly and reactively to business needs and requests from traders and management
- Supply guidelines and support to the teams on any topics involving analysis and modelling of large data sets.
Context and environment
Total Gas and Power is the trading arm of Total in the field of low carbon energies (mainly gas, LNG and power). As such it operates in fast-evolving market dynamics influenced by internal and external factors that require constant adaptation and evolution. Uncertainties specific to the trading environment (volatility of prices, supply & demand mismatches) are coupled with those coming from the broader energy sector (climate change policies, changes in the energy mix, developments of new energy sources, etc). In such context Trading helps to ensure growth and profitability to a key segment of the business in order to reach the objective of Carbon Neutrality by 2050.
- University educated to at least master’s degree in a mathematical subject
- At least 2 years of experience in a position with a highly data analysis component, ideally on a trading floor.
- Experience using statistical computer languages (R, Python, SQL, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets. Experience working with and creating data architectures.
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques and their advantages/drawbacks.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts and experience with applications.
- Experience interacting with IT development teams in an Agile context
- Knowledge of energy markets dynamics.
- The position requires autonomy, objectivity, innovation, to be resourceful and well organised
- The applicant should be able to explain complex issues and present them in a clear and neat manner
- Fluent in English – knowledge of French is an advantage.