The Royal Mail Technology team is passionate about delivering high-quality products and outstanding digital experiences to our customers. Cutting edge technology is fundamental and key in helping us achieve our objective to be recognised as the best delivery company in both the UK and across Europe.
Our award-winning Technology team is at the heart of delivering a transformational journey at Royal Mail. The traditional letters business is declining, but our recent performance and the growth in parcels demonstrates that there is an opportunity for Royal Mail that we can capture, but we need to move quickly. By joining Royal Mail you will be helping to implement meaningful change, pushing forward with our transformation to become a more agile and even more customer focused business, while delivering more innovation, products and services for our customers. You will be working for a brand that’s a household name and a critical part of the UK’s infrastructure.
- The Junior Data Analyst is the entry level point for all technical roles within the Data Engineering team at Royal Mail. This is an exciting role for someone who is looking to begin their career within Technology/Data but is unsure of the specific area they wish to pursue.
- You will be given the chance to rotate across multiple areas within Data during your first 18 months so that you can determine which path you wish to take. Some of the areas you can rotate within are:
- Data Engineering
- Data Science
- BI Development
- Data Management
- We are looking for a Junior Data Analyst to have key role in the end to end delivery of the data strategy at Royal Mail, working alongside our Data Engineering and Data Science team to ensure that analytics practices and product delivery have the best engineering practices and standards.
- This is a crucial role for Royal Mail as a tech company in order to implement innovative data use cases to put ourselves technologically ahead of our competitors so you should expect to have high visibility across our business with an opportunity to expand technical skills daily.
In this role you will:
- As an entry point, we want aspiring data scientists or data analysts that love to manipulate and explore data day-to-day. The duties could support data science research, visualisation or data engineering pipeline work as well as engaging with our business teams to deliver MVPs, innovations or strategic data products.
- Be part of the team supporting the change cycle to ensure suitable cloud data products are delivered in line with business and platform needs
- Support Business Partners with tier-3 solution support, analysis outputs, data remediation, data cataloguing and ad hoc data queries
- Rapidly extend your knowledge of the Cloud Data Warehouse and Data Model at Royal Mail Group
- Design, develop, test and deploy data product solutions
- Internal and external stakeholder management
- Be partnered with Senior members of the team who will be able to share their knowledge and experience with you to develop your own skillset.
Qualifications and experience required:
- You will either hold a degree or PHD within a STEM related field or have knowledge of Coding, Data or IT Engineering through an apprenticeship or self-taught training.
- A deep passion for Technology/Data and hungry to learn within a production environment.
- Good communication (both verbal and written), stakeholder management skills and ability to manage and mentor junior team members
- Organised and can manage multiple requirements from multiple teams and stakeholders
- Exposure to data warehouses, data lakes, database design, data pipelines, data cataloguing/tagging and data modelling
- Good communication (both verbal and written), stakeholder management skills
- Structured and analytical with a problem-solving approach
- Exposure to ad-hoc SQL (Azure/Teradata SQL) optimisation.
- Strong numeracy and statistics skills with high attention to detail
- Certification in GCP (i.e. BigQuery, Data Catalog and DataFlow) a bonus.
- Google Cloud Engineer certifications (or Azure/AWS equivalents) is a bonus.
Our technology vision is to “Enable, Digitise, Realise”
We are an inclusive employer with equality, diversity and fairness at the heart of our values and we’re proud to be recognised in The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2020 for a 7th consecutive year. We welcome applications from individuals from diverse backgrounds and are committed to promoting fair participation and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
We are happy to support flexible working and would welcome having a conversation with you about how we could support your needs