Key Relationships: Data Science Team, Underwriting Technology Manager, Underwriters, Claims Managers, “Faster, Smarter Underwriting” Strategic Initiative Delivery Group, Actuaries, External Data Scientists (Cyence, Experian, Intellect, etc.), Underwriting Data Team, Data Enrichment Team, Digital Complex Platform IT Staff, other Underwriting and Claims Operations Staff, External Data Providers
Job Summary: To provide full-time and dedicated service to delivery of data-driven solutions for Faster and Smarter underwriting throughout the organization.
Job Requirements – Junior Data Scientist
- Supports data science lead to design analytical pipelines and solutions
- Implements, maintains, monitors and improves production machine learning models and solutions
- Supports communication of new insights through reports, presentations and interactive dashboards
Job Requirements – Data Science Team Generally
- Define data required to properly analyze and model our business
- Oversee the collection, storage, and retrieval of that data
- Be part of cross-functional teams charged with delivering Faster Smarter Underwriting for selected teams and product lines
- Regularly review market and claims environment with underwriters and claims managers to anticipate new data requirements
- Prepare intelligence reporting for underwriting and claims leadership teams to guide strategy
- Work with external data science partners, internal actuaries, underwriting and other interested stakeholders to build accurate, informative, and trustworthy underwriting tools and models, esp. pricing tools
- Design models and model updates to work within the Insight fabric
- Have a holistic understanding of what Beazley underwrites, our sales strategy, and our distribution channels
- Deliver a return on our FSU investments in data and data science support
- Propose changes to admitted rate filings
- Know how our products are changing and anticipate required changes to data needs and modeling opportunities
- Ensure Beazley’s data and data analytics continue to provide a competitive advantage
- Communicate challenges and issues to appropriate stakeholders in a timely fashion
- Identify and isolate innovation opportunities to support growth in areas highlighted by the business or as part of strategy (ie. claim trend analysis and product development)
- Collaborate with senior stakeholders to analyse current requirements and question where advanced analytics could assist
- Identify business challenges or opportunities and determine how the use of analytics could be leveraged by the business.
- Lead analysis, architecture, design, and development of experimental data and analytics solutions.
- Adopt the Beazley culture of Professionalism, Integrity, Effectiveness and Dynamic attitude that contributes to an internal environment of teamwork and promotes a positive brand image to our external customers.
- Comply with Beazley procedures, policies and regulations relevant to your role. Undertake relevant training on Beazley policies and procedures as delivered by your line manager, the Talent Management development or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) either directly, via e-learning or the learning management system.
- Comply with any specific responsibilities necessary for your role as outlined by your line manager, the Talent Management development or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) and ensure you keep up to date with developments in these areas. This may include, amongst others, minimum underwriting, claims or other Beazley standards and customer relationship management.
- Ensure that you uphold the Beazley principle of Treating Customers Fairly.
- Carry out additional responsibilities as individually notified, either through your objectives or through the learning management system. These may include, among others, European Strategy Team, US Management team or membership of any Beazley committees.
Education and Qualifications
- Data science experience, either through education or work experience
Skills and Abilities
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail
- The ability to manage time, meet deadlines and prioritise
- Stakeholder management and ability to communicate concisely at a number of levels
- Understands basic business principles and strategic drivers
- Able to identify and help the business to assess options and solutions that best fit requirements
Knowledge and Experience
- Must have some programming experience in Python, R, Matlab C#, Java or similar
- SQL knowledge required
- Must have experience in analytics, statistics, mathematics
- Bonus: any experience in computer science or machine learning
- Experienced in managing and manipulating data
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to tailor them appropriately for different audiences, technical backgrounds, and seniority
- Aptitude and Disposition
- Outcome focused, self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic
- Professional approach to successfully interact with managers/colleagues/external suppliers
- Achievement drive
- Analytical thinking
- Problem solving
- Conceptual thinking
- Thinking outside the box
- Customer focus
- Self Starter
- Information Seeker
- Team working
- Using expertise