Kaluza wants to power a world where net-zero is within everyone's reach, by building the platform that will accelerate a sustainable, affordable and resilient energy transition. It's a huge challenge, but often the toughest problems are the most rewarding to solve.
Since launching in 2019, Kaluza's technology has been empowering some of the biggest energy suppliers to better serve millions of customers.
From revolutionising billing to smart electric vehicle charging, our real-time cloud platforms transform supplier operations, reducing cost to serve and boosting engagement. And most importantly, they enable suppliers' customers to drive decarbonisation with smart, low carbon technologies.
Kaluza's Energy Retail Platform
As the world's energy needs evolve, suppliers with legacy systems are struggling to stay on top of increasingly complex and changing data, at great expense. Kaluza leverages advanced automation to simplify previously unmanageable volumes of live customer and industry data. The SaaS platform intelligently learns from new data in real time and self-updates at scale, removing the need for manual maintenance. In doing so, Kaluza creates considerable cost savings for suppliers enabling them to instead invest in innovating for tomorrow's customers and future-proofing their business for a zero-carbon world.
What will I be doing?
You'll be developing production ML algorithms to enable energy retailer agents to optimise their workload. We have a matrixed approach, so you will be part of the centalised data science & analytics team, sharing best practices and providing a like-minded community. With most of your day-to-day tasks from being part of a close-knit agile team with several engineers, a product manager and a software engineering manager.
Key responsibilities include:
- Creating ML algorithms: mainly coding in Python using data technologies including Google BigQuery, Sagemaker, TensorFlow working using infrastructure as code (Terraform) across a data mesh architecture.
- Productise algorithms: getting algorithms into the wild, so they can be watched and improved. Automate, monitor and maintain data science products by following best practice in your use of tooling, alerting and version control (Git).
- Mentoring and advising others: we're building a data science community and this role will be one of the more senior
- Stakeholder engagement: Working closely with agent platform product teams and the wider business to understand their needs from ML algorithms
- Driving best data science practice: Advising on how data scientists work & embed with agile teams and ensuring our A/B testing & MVT frameworks are world-class
- Identifying potential opportunities: Contribute to finding new places that data science could be used,ensuring the right questions are being asked and identifying where data science can have the biggest impact - and assessing potential risks.
- High-quality engineering: Engaging with our data science & engineering communities and wider tech team to support adoption of good engineering and data governance practices
- Data Quality & Compliance: Establish processes to reduce risk and be accountable for the team's regulatory and legal compliance and implementation of necessary tools
Is this the job for me? It could be if some of these apply
- You genuinely want to be in the front-line of the climate change battle.
- You have significant experience productionising algorithms - across the full data science lifecycle
- You are a "type-B" data scientist - a builder, engineer & coder - especially using Python
- You have a solid understanding of statistics, algorithmics, optimisation and modelling techniques
- You like communicating your knowledge with others - tailoring your approach to the technicality of the audience
- You have experience of developing others in a collaborative data science team, either in a formal capacity as a line manager or by mentoring other colleagues to develop their technical data science mastery
- You are comfortable working in an agile development environment that employs continuous integration and continuous delivery best practices, and have experience of pair programming, BDD/TDD, CI/CD and deployment strategies
From us you'll get
- An additional 9% of your salary to spend on a wide range of benefits, including your pension, a selection of lifestyle, health and green benefits, or simply take it as cash!
- Private Medical Insurance and Life Assurance
- 26 days holiday, including a day off for your birthday you can take at any point
- Flexible bank holidays, 5 of which you can choose to take whenever you like (3 are fixed days)
- Progressive leave policies with no qualifying service periods, including 26 weeks full pay if you have a new addition to your family
- Discretionary annual bonus
- A dedicated personal learning budget
- Flexible working — we trust you to work in a way that suits your lifestyle
- And more...
Even better? You'll have access to these benefits from day 1 of joining.
We want the best people
At Kaluza, we empower our people to have choices around where and when they work - flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info. We're keen to meet people with varied backgrounds - our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential. We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box.