In the words of the team, you should leave your current role for this one because….
You will have the opportunity to build AI products that directly and meaningfully reduce carbon whilst driving OVO towards its Plan Zero goals. As a growing area of the business that is highly passionate about innovation, there's real scope for you to craft how we tackle decarbonisation. We have a great team and would really value a strategic leader who can ensure the team's skills and experience are delivering maximum value for OVO, its customers and the planet.
Everyone belongs at OVO
At OVO, we are on a mission to tackle one of humanity's biggest challenges, the climate crisis. And we know it takes all of us to change the world. That's why we need a diverse set of people from all gender identities, ethnicities, ages, sexual orientations, life experiences and backgrounds to join us.
Team working for the planet
Everything we do here spins around Plan Zero. So, naturally, the team you'll be joining plays a gigantic role in making that happen. Here's how:
This role is fundamental to Plan Zero. The team is delivering the data science and insights that enables OVO to decarbonise customer homes. This could be modelling customer behaviour to ensure we're offering products and propositions that our customers value or providing insights that help our customers manage their energy consumption.
This role in a nutshell:
Reporting into a Head of Data Science, you will lead a team of data scientists and analysts developing innovative AI capabilities that deliver great business outcomes for our Operational teams. Your team will be responsible for the end to end development of machine learning models, covering prediction, propensity, segmentation, Natural Language Processing, Generative AI (and more!). You'll be responsible for engaging with different business teams to understand their data science needs and partnerships with your stakeholders. You'll also support the development of your team through mentoring and achievable career progression plans.
Your key outcomes will be:
- Lead and encourage a multidisciplinary Data Science team, including specialists in machine learning, operational research, and data engineering, including the application of generative AI.
- Take ownership for the technical delivery of your team's models and the analytics that support them. This includes ensuring models are well monitored and maintained after release.
- Collaborate with your peer group of data science managers to define the frameworks and practices that enable our Machine Learning specialists to have maximum impact.
- Work with external partners to tap into expertise and expand our capabilities. Assess ways to improve and supplement the data we collect, as well as the approaches we take.
- Champion the value of data science and advise on appropriate use of data in the business, actively exploring innovative approaches, particularly in generative AI
Within your first 3 months month you'll:
- Define a roadmap that ensures your team are delivering value and are aligned with OVO's goals.
- Become the lead representative for the Data team in the Generative AI domain. This will involve attending steer-co meetings, setting up regular touch points with collaborators and handling incoming requests.
- Be familiar with the existing Machine Learning products, models and analytics that the team has produced to date.
- Contributing to the ways of working with the wider Generative AI Team
You should be familiar with most of these systems and techniques:
- SQL, Python, Pytorch, Tensorflow, Google Jax, Langchain
- Google Cloud Platform - particularly BigQuery, Vertex-AI, Model Garden, etc.
- NLP, Transformers, GPT, PaLM2, etc.
- Experience with ONNX/TensorRT would be excellent
You'll be a successful Senior Data Science Manager at OVO if you…
- Have experience leading a Data Science, Machine Learning or AI team, producing ML products, data solutions and tools/insights with true commercial impact.
- Enjoy being hands on and encouraging. The ideal candidate will have both theoretical knowledge and hands-on experience in sophisticated data science techniques.
- Are skilled in building relationships and handling the priorities of multiple teams.
- Have delivered viable ML products in a fast-paced, start-up-like environment.
Let's talk about what's in it for you
We'll pay you between £80,000 and £110,000, depending on your specific skills and experience. If your expectations are a little different, we'de still like to hear from you.
We keep our pay ranges broad on purpose to give us, and you, flexibility to match your experience to our zero carbon mission.
You'll be eligible for an on-target bonus of 15%. We have one OVO bonus plan that focuses on the collective performance of our people to deliver our Plan Zero goal.
We also offer plenty of green benefits and progressive policies to help you feel like you belong at OVO…and there's flex pay. It's an extra 9% of your salary on top of your core pay to use as you like. You can take it as cash, add to your pension, or choose to spend it on a huge range of flex benefits.
Here's a taster of what's on offer:
For starters, you'll get 34 days of holiday (including bank holidays).
For your health
With benefits like a healthcare cash plan or private medical insurance depending on your career level, critical illness cover, life assurance, health assessments, and more
For your wellbeing
With gym membership, gadget, travel and cyber insurance, workplace ISA, will writing services, DNA testing, dental insurance, and more
For your lifestyle
With extra holiday buying, discount dining, culture cards, tech loans, and supporting your favourite charities with give-as-you-earn donations
For your home
Get up to £300 off any OVO Energy plan (when you pay by Direct Debit), plus personal carbon offsetting and great discounts on smart thermostats and EV chargers
For your commute
Nab a great deal on ultra-low emission car leasing, plus our cycle to work scheme and public transport season ticket loans
Want to hear about our full range of flexible benefits and progressive people policies? Our People Team can tell you everything you need to know.
For your Belonging
To find better ways to support our people, we need to listen to each other's experiences and find ways to build a truly inclusive and diverse workplace. As part of this, we have 8 Belonging Networks at OVO. Led by our people, for our people - so when you join OVO, you can play a part - big or small - with any of the Networks. It's up to you.
Oh, and one last thing...
We'd be thrilled if you tick off all our boxes, yet we also believe it's just as important we tick off all of yours. And if you think you have most of what we're looking for but not every single thing, go ahead and hit apply. We'd still love to hear from you!
If you have any additional requirements, there's a space to let us know on the application form; we want to make the process as easy and comfortable for you as possible..
Email me jobs like this