Job purpose: Work alongside like-minded Data Scientists and Analysts to apply best practice statistical and analytical techniques to business issues
Scope of the role: Internal Business Team and Data Solutions
Key accountabilities and measures
- Use expert knowledge of data science techniques and statistics to regularly deliver complex projects with a robust commercial approach
- Regular drumbeat of delivery of data science projects – both large and small – that drives business benefit and gives M&S a competitive advantage
- Deliver high quality actionable data science by performing ad hoc analysis to predict, measure and interpret business trends.
- Demonstrate a culture of analytical ‘curiosity’ through innovative, data driven insights on business questions
- Work alongside Lead Data Scientist to develop the data science agenda within the CIU
- Implement a highly visual and commercial approach when delivering data science projects that engages and challenges the thinking of non / less technical audiences. Clearly and concisely communicate data science insight that then gets buy in
- Similarly work alongside the rest of the CIU Analytics team to champion/implement self-service and data-driven decisioning for the CIU client base with a strong emphasis on automation to lift the team out of BAU
- Act as consultant to CIU analysts and other M&S functions, such as Marketing, Merchandising or Logistics to identify opportunities and appropriate solutions to problems
- Work as part of a team to scan and maintain a presence within the market for opportunities in optimisation, analytical techniques, visualisation, tools and big data working with M&S Big data / IT Teams to prioritise and scope improvements
- Engage the CIU analytical community by pushing best practice, helping coach data scientists and upskilling business analysts
- PhD or MSc. in a numerate subject is preferred e.g. Machine Learning, Computer Science, Statistics
- Experience in developing and deploying machine learning algorithms using Python or R.
- Proficient with SQL and NoSQL data bases
- Prior experience of using Apache Spark to develop and deploy data science projects.
- Comprehensive proficiency in key programming languages (e.g. Python, Java, R, SPARK, SQL, etc) and software development skills.
- Expert in mining large & complex data sets - both structured and unstructured data and including (but not limited to) efficient extraction of data, transformation and application
- Considerable experience working as a data scientist.
Key relationships and stakeholders
- CIU and Loyalty wider team
- Internal clients from the business, especially various Leadership teams
Closing date: February 21st 2019, 11:55 PM.